Entries are now Closed!!
It's beginning to look a lot like we're having a Holiday contest!! Reva's making her list and checking it twice before stuffing it under my pillow, so while she's dreaming of an iPad, I thought I'd rip the wrapping off our first ever Holiday Cheer Cake Challenge.
Ho, ho, homemade treats are at the center of this expanded contest. After our test run at a Halloween contest, we wanted to make our next one bigger with even more opportunities for people to get their name on the winner's list;) So, read carefully, and let us know if you have any questions because there are a lot of moving parts this time around.
- Christmas Cake - Buttercream
- Christmas Cake - Fondant
- Winter Holiday Cake (any other, including NYE, Hanukah, Festivus, Boxing Day etc.)
- Gingerbread House
- Holiday Cupcakes
- Holiday Cake Pops
(Please note: Thanksgiving is NOT included in the "any other" description. December Holidays only.)
For the Christmas cakes, we will place your cake in the proper category based on which medium is used to represent your theme the most. Ex: If it is buttercream icing with lots of fondant figures, we will put it in "fondant" because the execution of your design relies heavily on the fondant work.
In addition to all those categories, we're also going to have two levels of competition: Professional and Novice. That's a total of 12 winners!
Novice: anyone who bakes and decorates primarily as a hobby. A novice most likely is in the beginning stages of their decorating career/business. It should not be your primary source of income, but it is okay if you are selling your product in modest amounts.
Professional: to enter the professional categories you should consider yourself a full time cake decorator, this includes grocery stores or any other work for businesses other than your own, including freelance. You should have a business name and a wesbite and/or a well cared for Facebook page as your business. You will probably have some training and/or multiple years experience.
Anyone can enter the Professional level if they wish, but if you enter the Novice level and you appear to be a professional decorator, you will be notified. This is important because a change to this contest will be an entry fee for Professional entries
This fee is to help alleviate the cost of awards for a contest this size. We want to do 4 to 5 contests a year and with one this size, we feel it appropriate to attach a modest fee. It is also to lend some weight to the idea of presenting the winners with an award that states they won a "professional" level competition. Pricing is on par with your standard county fair.
A 6 pack of entries, one for each category in the professional division, will be offered for $5. That is for anyone who wants to enter each category once. We will also offer any 10 entries for $7. All other combinations will be $1 per entry. You do not have to buy an entry for a specific category, you can use your entries for any category you like unless you buy the 6 pack, in which case you will be assigned one entry per category.
Novice entries will remain completely free. Simply follow the rules and email us your entry. We appreciate your honesty when entering. We would like to reward young decorators for their hard work.
There are no limits to how many times you may enter for either level!
Obviously, each contestant has a unique set of circumstances and if you are unsure of which level to enter, just let us know and we'll figure out the best level for you.
- All entries must be received by January 2nd, 2012 by 11:59 pm PST.
- Photos of your entry should be emailed to Mercicakes@yahoo.com.
- Use the subject heading "Holiday Challenge."
- Tell us which category and level you are entering.
- Please include your full contact info in your email.
- No more than two (2) photos per entry.
- Awards to be shipped within North America only. Winners outside this area must pay additional shipping charges to receive their prize. An option to receive a certificate only via email for no charge will be made available.
- Professionals, please make sure you pay for each entry via our online store here.
- If you pay with a different name (spouse etc.) or a different email, please let us know in your entry email so we can match you up with your payment.
- Judging will be conducted by the members of Team Merci Beaucoup.
- The winner of each category will receive a custom medal.
- A Sweepstakes winner will receive a special plaque!
- Fan's Choice. The entry that receives the most comments and "likes" will receive an award.
If you're familiar with county fairs, you know of the sweepstakes prize. The contestant with the most points will win the sweepstakes. The more you enter, the more chance you have of winning sweepstakes!
- Professional and Novice levels will be considered for sweepstakes.
- Most points wins.
- Each category will be ranked 1 thru 10 with the following points awarded:
- 1st Place - 12 Points
- 2nd - 10 Points
- 3rd - 9 Points
- 4th - 7 Points
- 5th - 6 Points
- 6th - 5 Points
- 7th - 4 Points
- 8th - 3 Points
- 9th - 2 Points
- 10th - 1 Point
In the event of a tie, the highest placement will be considered first. If still tied, multiple firsts etc. will be considered.
All entries will be posted on our Facebook page in special albums for each category (levels will be combined). Each "like" and comment will be counted as 1 vote. The most votes will earn the Fan's choice award. NOTE: voting for Fan's Choice will remain open till January 6th, 2012! This will allow later entries to earn votes.
All 14 winners will be announced on January 7th!
That enough for you? Our Halloween contest was so much fun and we hope this time is even better. Best of luck everyone!