Just like a persistent ghost mocking a SyFy Channel TV crew, it is time once more to haunt your kitchens and whip up something fun, something scary, and something sweet for Merci Beaucoup's newest tradition, our Annual Halloween Cake Challenge!! And yes, two years qualifies as tradition;)
Last year was so much fun, even if the decisions drove us to the judging house of horrors! Seriously, you all knocked your cakes out of the cemetary in 2011, so now it's time to up the proverbial ante. For MBHCC 2012, we will have a grand total of 8 winners!! If you participated in our Holiday contest, some of this will look familiar.
There will be four (4) categories, each containing two (2) divisions of experience. They are:
- Traditional Halloween Cake Professional
- Horror/Scary Halloween Cake Professional
- Day of the Dead Cake Professional
- Fan Favorite Cake Professional
- Traditional Halloween Cake Novice
- Horror/Scary Halloween Cake Novice
- Day of the Dead Cake Novice
- Fan Favorite Novice
Now we can judge cakes against similar cakes instead of juggling a great Day of the Dead against say a super cute pumpkin;) And you can thank Sarah Myers for the horror category!! Unlike our Holiday contest, we are leaving it up to you to decide which division (novice or pro) that you wish to enter. We do reserve the right to change your division if we feel it is improperly categorized but will notify you prior to any decisions. There will be no entry fee! The Halloween Contest is completely free to enter, so enter as often as you dare..... muwhahahahaha!!!
How To Enter:
Once again, we're looking for the most creative, spooktacular cakes you're little zombie food brains can come up with! Wanna enter? Of course you do!! All you have to do is send a pic of your Halloween creation to us at email@example.com with the subject heading "Halloween Challenge 2012." Include in the email:
- a photo(s) of your cake
- what category and division you are entering
- any info or facts about it you want to pass along
- your contact information including mailing address
- tell us your favorite costume you ever wore!! (embarrassing photos encouraged)
- Cakes only! We only want to see/judge cupcakes etc. if they accompany a main cake.
- No more than 3 photos per entry (cake).
- Contest prizes available at no cost to residents of North America.
- Winners outside of North America will need to pay shipping & handling to receive awards.
- Fan Favorite awards calculated by total number of "likes" plus "comments."
- Entries will close on November 5th at 11:59 pm, PST.
- Fan Favorite Voting will close November 9th at 11:59 pm, PST.
- All Winners will be announced on Nov. 10th.
Traditional Halloween: You should enter this category if your cake falls into the traditional imagery of Halloween. We're talking pumpkins, bats, owls, candy, cartoonish mummies or zombies, Frankenstein, trick or treating, and light witchcraft. You know, hobby witches, not Blair Witches!
Horror/Scary: To enter this category, you are creating a cake with some fright to it. Realisitic zombies, blood, gore, things based off of movies like Saw or shows like The Walking Dead. If it's a bit twisted, it goes here!
Day of the Dead: One of our favorite themes and one we felt needed it's own category. As you can see, we have allowed entries well past November 1st and 2nd to allow for DOTDers to take part. Sugar skulls, beautiful flowers, piping, use it all to create something for this category.
Fan Favorite: All cakes will be entered into fan favorite! Each cake will receive "votes" by gaining likes and comments on the official contest photo album on our Facebook page. The highest total for pro and novice cakes will each win. The tiebreaker if needed will be "shares."
And Here's the Twist!
Because we love you, If you don't think you have the time or reason to make a Halloween cake this year (like our contest isn't enough reason!) AND you entered a cake last year, you may re-submit that cake for Fan Favorite voting only!! It must be submitted again and only "votes" acquired under the 2012 photo album will be counted. Important: You MAY NOT use this generous offer if you are submitting a new cake for 2012. This is only for those who do not have the time to create something new for this year's contest.
Once again we will gather the cake coven known as Reva, Mic and Marc to judge the winners. Last year they went with this beauty:
Do you have what it takes to unseat M.A.D. Crafted Cakes? If so, get cracking on those designs and send 'em on over!! We can't wait to see what our amazing friends will come up with and as soon as we get a few entries, we will create an online gallery on our Facebook page so everyone can share in the Halloween fun and start voting for their favs;) Good luck cakers, may the best tiers win;)